Translate

Monday, March 19, 2012

Ten Ren Tea Journal

I love tea and want to learn more about the different varieties. There is no better place near me to buy tea than Ten Ren on Mott Street. They stock over a hundred different teas.

The ladies at Ten Ren are pleasant, but the best way to test these teas is to order the samplers online. The samplers are not available in the stores, but they should be.

I will chronicle my tea tastings here:

Tian Li (ten Li) oolong:
One of the rarest and highest quality teas. Very fresh tasting, roasted and delicious. I recommend this but it is very expensive. $45 for 2.6 ounces.

2011 First Flush Dragonwell (very limited) green tea:

The tea leaves are small and very tender. A little more bitter than the Tian Li tea in my opinion.

Puh Erh- oh no! Stay away! The name says it all- it sounds like poop err. It will be a big mistake for you to buy this tea. Tastes like the stuff my grandmother used to make me drink when I was sick. Noooooooo. Plus I found a hair in the tea leaves.

Pouchong 3rd grade:

Slightly fermented green tea, fresh and clean. Not bad. Nothing to write home about.

I received, free with my online purchase, a box of the Dragon Well Green Tea bags. This is very good tea, roasty and sweet, not bad for a tea bag.