Translate

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Del Posto Restaurant Review

Del Posto Restaurant
85 10th Avenue  New York, NY 10011
(212) 497-8090

My goal this year is to try as many Michelin star restaurants as possible and not eat at the same places so often. I eat at a local sushi restaurant so much that they know me by name.

I made the reservation at Open Table and Del Posto required a credit card. If I didn't show up, they would charge my card $50. The restaurant was not very busy for lunch, so a reservation was probably not absolutely necessary. I mean, would they really turn you away if they had available tables and they had to pay all the overhead, I think not.

Del Posto is perfection. Everything was classy, including the live piano music. I brought my Chanel flap handbag just so I can put it on the famed Del Posto stool for the purse. Unfortunately, we sat in a booth.

So my friend and celeb stylist, Cici, was already at the bar getting a Bellini when I walked in. I chatted with Cici for a moment and the bartender greeted me enthusiastically. I don't drink and was eager to sample all the yummy food I had read about. While Cici was waiting for her drink, I went to check out the restroom, which are separate rooms complete with sinks, or water closets. One restroom was occupied, and the other one was dark. Luckily, I had my Flashlight app on my iPhone and I was able to find the light switch, which was not in the place where you would expect to find it.

We both ordered the Lobster Fra Diavolo appetizer, which was amazing. Huge chunks of lobster in a spicy tomato sauce garnished with bits of seaweed and parsley, and some kind of jelly. Omg, it was perfection, so fresh, the herbs and seaweed complementing the heat of the tomato sauce. Really well done. We were in heaven. The crusty and freshly baked warm bread served with lardo and butter were great with the lobster Fra diavolo.

I ordered the Scungilli pasta and Cici had the swordfish. I guess I should have taken the waiter's hint when he mentioned the most popular pastas and the Scungilli was not one of them. It was lemony and peppery, not what I expected from a seafood pasta.

The desserts were good, but I am really not a dessert person. There was a nice presentation of extra free olive oil gelato lollipops, warm doughnut holes, candied grapefruit and chocolate truffles. I loved the sweetness and tanginess of the fruit.

Loved the lobster Fra diavolo and bread.



Bread with butter and lardo

Amuse Bouche

Lobster Fra Diavolo



Scungilli Due
 

Swordfish
 




Olive Oil Gelato
 

Even the check is elegant!