Translate

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Shopping for Wigs

Ricky's
375 Broadway
New York, NY 10013
(212) 925-5490
Categories: Cosmetics & Beauty Supply, Costumes
Neighborhoods: Chinatown, TriBeCa

I wanted to shop for wigs to reinvent myself.  I love the look of cute hime gyaru girls, who look like princesses or Paris Hilton, with their curly blonde hair and big eyes.  My friend suggested Ricky's. I saw that they were having a buy one get one free wig sale, so I rushed there at lunchtime. The girl behind the wig counter me pay $2.18 for a wig cap the size of a sock made of pantyhose material.  In fact, it must have been a knee high because it refused to go over my huge head.  A guy behind the counter walked by just to take a look at me with a knee high over my head. 
 "No," the girl said.  "Your bangs and ponytail are still sticking out.  All your hair has to go in there.". How do you stuff three feet of thick hair into a knee high? Guess that's by order of the Dept of Health. Since it was BOGO, I said, what the heck, don't need to try it on.  So I just held the Diva wig next to my face and imagined I look like Kim Zolciak.  Then all of a sudden, a guy with a crazy Mohawk lit up some incense by the wigs. I'm all for creativity, but WTF? Did someone fart?  Are we praying to Buddha?  Why the incense at the wig section? Now all the hair smells like freakin hippies at Occupy Wall St.  Not that there's anything wrong with them, just don't want my wigs to smell like that.

The next day, I went back to Ricky's to get more wigs, since when I do something, I really get into it.  Gosh darn it, I'm going to look like a cute little Japanese hime gyaru princess.  This time, Mohawk Man helped me.  I had a hard time deciding between a platinum blond Medusa (long blond hair with snake like curls) or a red Diva (long straight hair with bangs).   I had already bought a red Medusa.  Mohawk Man's recommendation was to go with the red Diva because the platinum blond Medusa would look normal on me.  He must see a lot of blond Asians wherever he frequents.  I decided to go with both the blond Medusa and red Diva.  (Note: these are not the most comfortable wigs in the world, but they are cheap enough to buy a few for a night of fun).
"Good choice wigs, have fun!' said Mohawk Man.

There is also a costume superstore in the basement, where, if you so fancy, you have your choice of about 30 different nurses costumes. 

There is also a section call the Red Light District, where they sell sex toys and other fun items.  You have to be 18 to enter.

This is a great place to shop for beauty supplies, such as professional hair color, shampoo and conditioners.  Very different from the beauty items at Duane Reade.